Ever since I was a kid, one of the only ways we had oatmeal was if it was baked. It is the most delicious way to eat oatmeal. I have given the recipe to some of my friends and they eat it more often than I do now.
The longest part of the recipe is the cooking. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare and 40-45 minutes to bake. It originally was a non-vegan recipe. When I was vegan, I found a way to make it vegan without changing the recipes taste or texture. In parenthesis, are the alternative ingredients to make the recipe vegan.
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs (1/2 cup of apple sauce)
- 1 cup milk (1 cup soy, coconut, almond, or rice milk)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (1/2 cup earth balance butter)
- Additional milk (soy, coconut, almond, or rice)
- Add chopped nuts if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nuts. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and butter. Stir into oat mixture until blended.
- Spoon into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until set. Serve warm with milk. Yield: 9 servings
For leftovers, store in fridge and reheat in microwave or oven, then add extra milk. If you want to make them more convenient for mornings, make them in a muffin tin. The cooking time would be a little less.
I hope that you love this healthy and tasty recipe! Please, post your comments if you try the recipe.